And also, the manga legitimately showed that there was a market for English translated manga in America. Akira was one of the first real long-running English-translated manga that was published in the West, and you could legit say it opened the doors for other manga to be translated and released in…
(more)
Profile photo for Terrence Reed
Terrence Reed
・ 2y
Not really. I was working at a comic book chain store before and after AKIRA was sold in the USA. There were already several manga titles available through VIZ, Dark Horse Comics, and several other independent comic companies. AKIRA was the first manga title taken up by Marvel Comics. That was a big…
(more)
Erwin
Fair enough! I still have some Viz Ranma volumes in storage somewhere.
Profile photo for Barbara Brutsch
Barbara Brutsch
・ 2y
My kids got themselves up at 5:30 a.m. on school days to watch “Sailor Moon.” McCall’s had sewing patterns for the girl’s costumes. Those were sweet days of Sailor Mercury, Sailor Moon, and Sailor Jupiter running around the house. The girls thought that Tuxedo Mask was rather stupid, but they focused on the talents of the girls (Mercury was studious, Jupiter was strong, and Sailor Moon was friendly.) I liked that, compared to the cartoons that I’d grown up with, the female characters had strong personalities and were capable of dealing with villainous men and women and rescuing the dude in distress.